Thursday 26 September 2013

Ella Muffins aka Banana and Custard Muffins

So the Great British Bake Off is back on tv, which means every Tuesday I need cake more than usual to enjoy eating while watching all the drama in the tent.  This Tuesday also had an even better surprise, the late arrival of my first niece, the first baby in our family since Miss E was born almost 4 years ago.  In Ella's honour I decided to bake once my two children were in bed and as I had no chocolate in the house ( disaster!) I had to ad lib on my usual banana chocolate muffin recipe.  A quick look in my food cupboard of doom and I realised I had a few tins of Everyday Value custard and a banana and custard recipe was born.

I googled to see if anyone had a decent recipe online but all the ones I found involved mixing the custard in.    I remembered a lovely rhubarb and custard muffin my neighbour made with our rhubarb earlier this year and decided to make my ordinary muffins and put a dollop of custard in the middle before cooking.

Here is the recipe I used, taken from Muffins Fast and Fantastic by Susan Reimer.

10oz plain flour
1tsp baking powder
1tsp bicarb
3 large well ripened bananas
4oz white sugar
1 egg beaten with fork
2-3 fl oz milk or water
3fl oz oil
half tin of custard

Preheat oven to 400F 200C GM6

In a bowl mix together flour, bicarb and baking powder.

In another bowl mash bananas well, add sugar.

Add banana and sugar mixture, milk, oil and egg into dry ingredients, stir until evenly mixed and no dry flour but don't over mix.

Fill each case about a third full then add a blob of custard, then top up with muffin mix.

Bake in oven for 20 to 25 mins










No comments:

Post a Comment