Tuesday 4 December 2012

How to knit thumbless mittens - Tommy No-Thumb

I have been quiet on here, things have been really hectic in real life with a big list of custom orders, the usual Christmas preparations and DIY and house sorting projects (my oven has broken, my kitchen is half way through being decorated, my loft is half way through being sorted etc etc!!).

Anyway in my absence I have designed a baby mitten pattern.  Its a basic scratch style mitten, ie one with no thumb.  I have named it Tommy No-Thumb after the nursery rhyme song Tommy Thumb.  It is far from being rocket science but it is my first go at sharing my own pattern so be gentle!

You will need

DK wool (not much, newborn hands are tiny).  I used my old favourite Adriafil knitcol

3.25mm double pointed needles

An hour or so, they are quick knits

For 0-3 month size (mitten length not inc cuff 3 inches or 8 cm, with cuff its 4.75 " or 12cm)

Cast on 30 stitches and join in the round being careful not to twist.
Knit 12 rows of k1p1 ribbing
Knit 20 rows of plain knitting

Start decreasing for the top

Row 33 (Knit 2, knit 2 tog) repeat all the way round.
Row 34 Knit all stitches
Row 35 (Knit 1, knit 2 tog) repeat all the way round
Row 36 Knit all stitches
Row 37 (Knit 2 tog) repeat all the way round.  This should leave you with 8 stitches.

Cut yarn leaving longish tail, thread needle through all the stitches and take of the needle, secure and weave in ends.

Make a second one!

You could then icord a cord to join the pair together so your baby doesn't loose them, (or crochet or plait a cord) but please be careful as cords can be a hazard to babies.




Feel free to use my pattern for your own use or to sell for charity.  If you want to knit them to sell for personal gain please contact me first, thank you.  I would love to see any mittens you knit from it, feel free to post up your links!

Here is the link to the Ravelry project page.

No comments:

Post a Comment