I altered it by reducing the sugar to 75g as it said it was super sweet but I still felt it was too sugary. I also added some nutmeg as all custardy puddings *need* a scrape or two of nutmeg!
Here is my adapted version incase you have some old bread to use up...
- 50g sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- a few grates of fresh nutmeg
- 5 slices of any old bread
- 2 handfuls of sultanas (or more if you like them on top but I can't stand burnt dried fruit!)
- 500ml milk
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to GM 5, grease a dish.
- Mix together the sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Butter the bread and cut into triangles.
- Layer up alternate layers of bread with sultanas and the sugary spicey mix (I ended up with bread topped with some of the spiced sugar but kept all the sultanas under the top bread layer)
- Whisk together the eggs and milk and pour over the pudding.
- Leave to soak for about 10 mins.
- Cook for 35-45 Minutes until set and browned.
This is said to serve 7 but to be honest I think 4 would be a better estimate as myself and Mr T ate over half of it in one sitting!